While “vinyl” and “custom home” seem to be a contradiction, more custom homeowners are considering it when building a new home. Introduced in 2006, Luxury Vinyl Tile flooring (LVT) is one of the fastest-growing flooring products in the residential market.
It’s also becoming quite popular among homeowners in their home remodeling projects.
What do I need to know?
Luxury Vinyl Tile is a high-performance alternative to hardwood and tile flooring. It’s also inexpensive and visually stunning.
LVT manufacturers use a special type of plastic (vinyl) to create LVT. Recent technology advances have opened the door for vinyl flooring to look and feel just like stone and wood.
What makes it so good?
Luxury vinyl flooring consists of three layers.
- First, the manufacturer prints and glues a high-definition photo of hardwood or stone flooring onto the “backing layer.”
- Next, they put a clear “wear layer” on top of the photo-realistic layer to protect the floor from scuffs and scratches.
- Using 3-D printing, the manufacturer textures this clear layer which gives the floor the natural feeling.
LVT looks incredibly realistic. It’s difficult to tell the difference between the luxury vinyl product and its natural counterpart.
Why are people choosing Luxury Vinyl Tile flooring?
Luxury Vinyl Tile differs from traditional vinyl. It’s not the tacky, glue-down linoleum that sticks to the subfloor and is messy to remove later. It’s quite different. Here’s how:
- It’s thicker, with deeper embossing.
- Comes in individual plank or tile-shaped pieces.
- Offers realistic photo-imaging planks or tiles that make it hard to distinguish from natural wood or stone flooring.
- Luxury Vinyl Tile is usually less expensive than hardwood and tile.
- Installs in a variety of patterns such as a standard hardwood pattern, herringbone, or Parque arrangement.
- LVT is resilient, easy to maintain.
- It’s softer to walk on than hardwood, porcelain, or stone.
- Is unaffected by water, unlike hardwoods.
- Luxury vinyl tile is hardwearing and durable which makes it excellent for high traffic areas, children, and pets.
- Works well in sub-grade applications (like basements) where general contractors can’t install hardwood.
- No experience necessary to install. It’s made for the novice installer.
- It’s seamless.
- No glue, no mess. The best Luxury Vinyl Tile attaches to each board, and not directly to the subfloor.
Whether you’re building a new home or starting some home renovation, Luxury Vinyl Tile flooring might be a great option for you. It looks and feel great, is highly durable, DIY installable, and easy on the budget.
If you’re thinking of building a new home or remodeling your current home, check out CL Webb Construction. We service Northwest Arkansas and surround areas. Let us know how we can help you. 479.595.3309