Finishing your basement adds usable space, value, and appeal to your home. Whether you’re looking to finish the basement for additional living space, to create an entertaining area, or make room for guests, you’ll want to consider a few things first. Before you get started, check out this basement finishing do’s and don’ts before list.
Basement Finishing Do’s
- Get a detailed architectural plan and make a wishlist. Measure the basement and mark and permanent fixtures such as a furnace, water heater, and pipes. Consider how you want to use the space. What type of flooring, and lighting do you want? Will you need running water?
- Work with the Positives. Basements usually have unique features. Incorporate the quirkiness into the design plan and make it work for you.
- Take moisture issues into consideration and resolve them before you begin the project. Check for musty odors, peeling paint, rust, or wall and ceiling discoloration.
- Perform a Radon test. Radon is a gas that occurs naturally in the soil and can cause lung cancer. Basements, in particular, are susceptible to radon build-up because the foundation is in direct contact with the soil and water surrounding the home.
- Add a lot of lighting. You won’t get much natural light in most basements. Assess existing lighting and determine how you can use it to your advantage in the new space. Then, add additional lighting.
- Add a bedroom with a closet and bathroom if there’s room. You could add value when it’s time to sell because you can add a bedroom to your listing.
- Know the local code and permit requirements. Obtaining the correct permits will help you avoid headaches when it’s time to sell your home and keep you from having to redo work. Your basement finishing company can help with this.
- Hire a basement finishing company. A professional can help you design creative solutions to your particular space. Using a professional can save you money by avoiding costly mistakes or delays. Interview several companies. Check out their work, read reviews, and get references.
Basement Finishing Don’ts
- Skimp on the details. Pay attention to the details as you would the main rooms of your home. Make it a place you’ll love to spend time in for years to come.
- Plan to finish the entire basement if you have a limited budget. It’s best to focus on a smaller space.
- Change plans. Once construction starts, changing plans will cost you extra and create delays. Take the time on the front-end to make comprehensive design plans and selections. Ask questions until you’re comfortable with your decisions.
- Be afraid to express yourself and your family. A basement is a place you can really have fun. Create the space you will enjoy and communicates who you are as a family.
- Hesitate to hire a contractor. Using a professional. A licensed contractor leading the way will pay for itself in time, money, and peace of mind.
CL Webb Construction is a full-service construction company serving Northwest Arkansas and surrounding areas. Call us today and let’s talk about your next residential or commercial remodeling project. (479) 595-3309